Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Southern Reading Challenge 2008

I have decided to enter the Southern Reading Challenge 2008. The rules: read 3 Southern Setting Books by Southern Authors in 3 Months beginning May 15 through August 15. By referencing this website I have narrowed down my choice to these:

1) To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
2) Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
3) I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

and if there's time

4) Roots by Alex Haley

I know these are all really well known books, but they are the ones I want to read. Here's why:

I read To Kill a Mockinbird in grade 9 and have wanted to re-read it for some time now because I really liked it back then, and I'd like to see how (or if) my view of the book has changed over the years.

Gone With the Wind - Its a classic and I've seen the movie plenty of times, now it's time to read the book.

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings - I've wondered about Maya Angelou's books for some time now and this is the perfect time to get to know them.

I do want to read Roots (and see the movie) but isn't the book part of a series? Don't know if I can read the whole thing before August 15th.

I did read The Color Purple by Alice Walker earlier this year but since I read it before the challenge started it won't count. (this is my rule - not sure what the official website rule is. :P)

So on top of all the others books I have laying around my house to be read, this is my challenge for the next 3 months. And it will be a challenge! As much as I love to read, I hate deadlines. But its only 3 books so I will give it a shot! Want to join too? Go here.

1 comment:

maggie moran said...

Well, I'm thrilled you are joining us, Julia! Who knows, you might get inspired to knit some curtains! ;D Happy reading and I look forward to your insights.