Saturday, April 12, 2008

Double pointed needles

I've never used DPNs before. So last weekend when I started to cast on for Sheldon from the Knitty website I was finding it quite hard. You start with only 6 stitches on 3 needles then increase to 12 and so on. But seriously 6 stiches on 3 needles!! I got so upset that I threw the needles across the room. (Luckly hitting the second couch and not the wall! They were aluminium needles.)

Then Monday at the SCC knitting group I tried to cast on DPNs to make a pair of mittens. I had my doubts but thought I would try anyway. It was much easier than my first try. I think because the mittens needed 36 stiches on 3 needles it went much better. I used the bamboo needles I got from my swap pal for this second try. Knitting on DPNs took some getting used to but really its not that hard. Woo hoo I learnt something new! I'm almost done that first mitten, and hope to finish and get a good start on the second when I go to the Vancouver Knitting meetup tomorrow.

Now that I feel better about DPNs I am going to re-try to cast on for Sheldon, and I want to try to make a pair of socks. I'll have to make a trip to my LYS for sock yarn. Does anyone have a yarn suggestion for socks? I want something good, but hopefully not too expensive.

1 comment:

cindybmw2004 said...

I don't know what your LYS carries but Opal, Sockotta, Wildfoote, Jawoll, Jitterbug. I love all of these. Hope you have better luck with Sheldon. I didn't realize you didn't use DPNs. I would have sent ya circulars! LOL Take CARE