Sunday, October 26, 2008

Book Review: Grace in Thine Eyes


I loved this book! It's the last in a series of 4 books, and possible the best one! The book is based in Scotland in 1808. It follows the story of 17 year old Davina, daughter of the two of the characters from books 1-3.

Davina, while visiting her cousins, is raped and must decide whether to lie and cover up the truth and save her reputation, or face the truth and forgive the one who did wrong to her. As with all things her family gets involved and must also come to terms with what happened.

The author's website really says it best:
"A story of passion and revenge, of lost innocence and shattered dreams, Grace in Thine Eyes explores the sorrow of unspeakable shame and the gift of immeasurable grace."

Besides being a great story I was struck by a couple things from this book. The first was that as I was reading part of the book I was starting to get really mad at the author. While this may seem bad it was really a good thing. Often with a story you can tell what is going to happen and where the story is going. I did not for see this one event and got so caught up the story that I wanted everything to work out for the best and this one event went against what I thought was best. ('cause you know its all about me right! :P )
I was also moved by the great descriptions of places. There was a lot of travel in the story and it was all so well described that I feel as through I've been there! (Ok, so I know I haven't really travelled 1808 Scotland, but it has created a strong urge to travel to modern day Scotland just to see the placed mentioned in the book!)

It's even got me thinking how lucky women are these days. We can own property, and have a job, and choose if we want to get married, heck we can even decide if we want kids and how many. Two hundred years ago everything depended on your husband! You HAD to marry and your had to marry well. All I can say is thank goodness for 2008.
Overall a great book, I would definitely recommend this one.


Wow, all this from one book! It must be one heck of a book huh? :)

4 comments:

Willow said...

Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog for the Fave Five this week. I've been so busy I haven't been around to visit everyone yet.

I got a big laugh out of the dog and cat diaries, and your women multiply whatever you give them quote.

Have another great week!

Monica (aka monnibo) said...

Ooo that books sounds good! Let me know the name of the series... I like to read things in order!

Susanne said...

This sounds really good. I think I have one of the other ones that I haven't read yet. I'm going to look into this series for sure!

Jen said...

That sound really good, I'll have to add that to my want to read list.